Monday, April 6, 2020

New land

We took a scenic drive in Volcanoes National Park, following where lava relatively recently flowed down to the ocean. The incredible sights are not properly captured here because I was behind the wheel for most of the time and when we got to the coast, the volcano behind us was mostly covered by clouds. It was really something to experience though.


This is part of the island that is essentially still growing. I don't know all the facts, but this has to be the newest land in the United States. There are layers of overlapping lava from different years, most recently from 2018. We think these cliffs and arch were formed in 2008 (?).


This is the south coast of the south-most island of Hawaii, so there is nothing out there but a hemisphere of ocean between us and Antarctica.


Up next I'll be posting a collection of iPhone photos from the trip, although there might be a brief pause first because I'm having trouble getting them off my phone...

0 comments:

About

Hello, family and friends. I started this blog to post photos and video of our little girl and little boy. If you are interested in having any of these printed, let me know and I can send you some higher resolution images. Thanks for visiting!

Blog Archive

Stat Counter

Back to TOP